Saturday 1 April 2023

UPDATE.

 Apart from not being able to drive, another problem with having my cataracts done is that for six weeks I am not allowed to do any lifting or other heavy work. This includes gardening and grass cutting. At this time of year I, with everyone else, expects to start preparing the garden for the coming summer including cutting the grass which, in my case, is already looking a bit shaggy. However I must leave it to grow out of control and no doubt become infested with an abundance of exotic wildlife !!!!

Another "interesting" activity that is banned for me is housework. However, much like the garden, I have no doubt I will be doing a lot of catching up when the time is right !!!! All that said one positive has arisen in that I have got a good amount of spare time right now, and,  with my new close range vision,  therefore the opportunity to do more modelling. In fact I have done more this past week than for several months.

The batch of field kitchens that had been sitting around since last autumn have finally been completed and issued. I have now started on a batch of GS wagons as seen below.

The bodies are done and next step is to add wheels. The full construction process can be seen on a post under the Construction Techniques label.  In addition I have made a start on an infantry battalion. The soldiers have all been painted in uniform green and the addition of rank insignia is now under way.


Apologies for the strange photo. The soldiers are painted on my "work" shelves and had to be squashed up on my "photo studio" window cill to get them all in. As a matter of interest, this is what 407 screws look like during the painting process. Also note the flag bearers in the bottom left corner. 

The shelves are plywood and were light brown in colour as still seen on the edges however years of processing thousands of screws have changed the colour of the boards to a dirty looking green.

Just out of interest, the latest count of my soldiers shows 63,488 are with my armies at present.





4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you able to at least carry on with some gaming/modelling related activity Tony. I would get incredibly frustrated at not being able to get out into the garden, especially at this time of the year, as it's one of my other great loves alognside wargaming. My mind boggles at the sheer number of soldiers that you have painted for your armies. Honestly I dread to think how much they weigh but in a bizarre way would love to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve...Yes even for me, not that much of a gardener, it is very frustrating not being able to work in the garden especially as the forecast for next week is warmer and dry. As for the weight of my soldiers, a great question and I have worked out the answer. Its not as much as I had expected. Total weight of 63,000 screws is 130 lbs or 59 kilos approx. The weight of my vehicles etc will not be much as the materials are mostly only balsa and plastic card. Hope that's of interest....Regards.

      Delete
    2. 59 kilos give or take is, to my mind, a lot!!! I used to have to carry 20 kilo drums of silicone, two at a time to aid balance, at work, so can imagine the weight of your 'figures'. My lead pile is no where near that but it does make me wonder how much weight I'm putting on the rafters in the attic.....

      Delete
    3. Hi Steve...Yes I guess it is a lot but its spread over four display cabinets. However I do worry about the weight of my books...the main bookcase alone is 6 feet high and 9 feet long so must weigh a great deal. Hope the rafters and floor joists are up to it !!!!....Regards.

      Delete