Tuesday 7 March 2023

MY PAINTING AND MODELLING FACILITIES.

I have noticed that several of the bloggers I follow have recently included photos of their painting arrangements. This is very interesting and supports the often mentioned theory that we all like to know more about the "person" behind the blog. With that in mind I thought I would join in and post some details of my working arrangements.

I am very lucky in that I have a dedicated modelling room. It is the smallest bedroom in the house. However I have also been allowed three further display units and two book cases in the spare room which is basically my wife's  dressing and general storage room.

The first photo is from the doorway of my room and shows the bookcases on the right and the modelling unit on the left with one of my four display units above. Also seen in the foreground is my armchair where I do my computer work including writing this blog. Being a lifelong amateur woodworker, all the furniture (except the armchair of course)  has been made by me in my workshop, the roof of which can just be seen outside in the bottom right corner of the window. Like everyone else, book storage is an endless and unsolvable problem !!!!!!


The photo below shows a full on view of the work bench with the display unit above. The drawers at the bottom house materials, tools, stationary items, the computer and the computer printer which is on a pullout shelf behind the larger door on the right behind the bin.


The unit was designed to be closed up when not in use hence the concertina doors as seen below. However as you might expect, they never get closed !!!!!


The next photo below shows the doors open with the actual work top still folded up. The black patches are actually thin rubber sheets designed to protect the top of the unit when the doors are open and the work surface down. My "special" modelling slippers can also be seen, only used when sitting at the unit !!!!.


With the chair in position, complete with soft  cushion and craft mat on the work surface I am ready to go. Just visible is the extension lead in the leg space to which my modelling lamp and the printer are connected together with my miniature drill when needed and of course the computer recharging lead. 


Below is a close up of the working space. Not particularly big but adequate. On each side are miniature sets of drawers holding paints, tools, materials and all sorts of odds and ends. In the centre is a set of pull out drying shelves that I use to hold screws I am painting. Vehicles under construction or being  painted are located on sheets of plastic card on the shelf alongside the clock or even on the window cill occasionally. A batch of 30 field kitchens that I have recently finished painting are just about visible on the left.


Well I hope these photos are of interest, I also hope others share their arrangements too.


4 comments:

  1. Oh Tony, how I envy you and your dedicated room! Maybe one day when the kids (young adults move out) I might be allowed to turn the smallest bedroom into such a space. Sadly too small to include a game table, but with some creative thought I might be able to squeeze something in. Love the bookcases and again would love something similar. I have plans but whether SWMBO agress is another matter entirely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve....Your dream will come true...kids always move out eventually.. and SWMBO will let you have the smallest room..have faith...My room in not sufficient for a gaming table either. Maybe you need to try for the second biggest room and negotiate down if necessary...Regards.

      Delete
  2. Compact and tidy - your arrangements are far better ordered than mine! In fact 'arrangement' is a word that scarcely conveys anything of the chaos that pervades my war games inventories and suchlike - and that despite the accommodations I have acquired for them.

    But at least I know (roughly) where (most of) my armies are.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ion...The most important things are that you know where everything is and you have painting and gaming space...anything else is a bonus... I did tidy up a bit before taking photos !!!!!...Regards.

      Delete