Tuesday 29 March 2022

UPDATE.

 A month or so after my last update and, I am pleased to say, not having been reduced to  radioactive dust, well not yet anyway,  I thought it about time I gave an update on my activities in the world of the Woodscrew Miniature Army.

Since starting construction of my fourth army I have now completed the soldiers of two infantry battalions, two field artillery battalions and a quartermaster battalion. A third infantry battalion is almost complete and shown below. All that is required is the final coat of varnish to enable these troops to join the colours.


On the vehicle and equipment side of things, I have built and painted 30 light signals trailers, 30 caissons and 36 GS wagons . I have almost completed a further batch of 30 GS wagons as shown below. These only require painting of the wheels before issuing to units.


I have also just started construction on a batch of 30 limbers. As seen below so far all I have done is cut the bodies and glued on the shafts. The next steps will be adding wheels etc.


Those readers who have followed my Imagi-Nations stories will be aware that it has been many months since I  have published any articles on this subject. You will also be aware that Archduke Piccolo wargamed a fantastic campaign based on my posts and I had decided to hold off posting any more till he had completed his excellent series of battle reports. Well of course it has been some time since that happened and I been struggling to write anything. This is because the outcome of Ion's campaign did not reflect my preconceived expectations and I have struggled to find a way of continuing the narrative in a way agreeable to me, (its my Imagi -Nation after all !!!!), and yet still incorporate Ion's superb campaign with its unexpected outcomes.

Well at last I think I have managed to draft something that does justice to Ion's excellent battles yet enables my narrative to continue along the path my imagination demands. I will review the draft over the coming days before publishing at the end of the week unless of course in the meantime Putin decides to take us all with him on the road to oblivion. 

 On which matter I see yet another Russian general has bitten the dust making seven lost so far while trying to rally the troops. Such losses must be unprecedented and makes me wonder if they should become a factor in any post 1945 European theater wargame ????


6 comments:

  1. Rest assured, Tony: Russia ain't gonna nuke anyone over Ukraine.

    I didn't mean - or even think - that the outcome of the campaign we ran would compromise the historical narrative you had in mind for Tian. I'm sorry for it though not apologetic about that. I can understand your feeling, and what I do feel apologetic about is that I was probably remiss in inserting myself at all into your project. I was so taken up with the war games potential from my own perspective, that I didn't really see through to the possible impacts upon you. I have no excuse to offer.

    The really bad part is that I can't really get past the war games possibilities of what you have created!

    All the best,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ion...Please don't get the wrong idea...I am delighted with your campaign and the results. I found it refreshing to have an alternative outcome to that I expected. You did exactly the right thing...it is my issue if my preconceived ideas went by the board and I have no regrets whatsoever. In fact I would actively encourage you to wargame my scenarios again at any time. The results would be welcome whatever they may be and you have nothing at all to be apologetic about. As far as I am concerned you were quite right to play out the campaign as you saw fit, and for your pleasure, without any limitations being put on you to adhere to my narrative. I just hope you find my next Imagi-Nations post does justice to your campaign and you accept my "explanations" for the results !!!! Regards

      Delete
  2. Wow, you have been busy Tony! They look great and it would be nice to see them in action one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Yes I must have another go at a photo shoot of some sort to show some of my units in battle poses. The biggest problem is one of space. Even a single infantry battalion deployed for battle fully occupies a 4 by 2 foot board. Of course if you ever find yourself near Shropshire you would be most welcome to carry out a personal inspection. Regards

      Delete
  3. An interesting challenge how your ImagiNation is challenged (or changed) by the outcome of Ion’s innovative gaming in your world.
    I find a similar challenge for dipping into the Bronte Imaginations which are highly complex, so I sometimes just jump forward a few decades from the characters they invented but kept the places etc. The outcome of my tabletop battle is usually an inconsequential skirmish that wouldn’t affect much anyhow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark...Yes it was strange to find my preconceived ideas turned upside down...and a challenge to find a way to get back on track. I guess we all live in our own imaginary world and the penalty of allowing others in is that they have different ideas. In this instance I really loved the attention and battles Ion fought but they did have a long term impact so I had to be creative to recover my "history". I hope you liked how I did that. Regards.

      Delete