Thursday 7 October 2021

UPDATE.

 Over the past couple of weeks most of my free time has been spent on the woodworking project about which I will do another update over the next few days. On the modelling front I have only managed to complete one more upgrade, number 37, which means the armies have reached 58,239 strong.

The final mounted upgrade has progressed a bit in that the soldiers have been mounted on their horses and painted. The next task is to under coat and top coat the horses as seen below.

When I first started modelling back in the early sixties, limited pocket money meant I used any paint I could lay hands on. This included a pot of heat proof silver paint I found under the kitchen sink. In fact I have continued to use that silver paint right up to the present day !!!! Yes that paint has lasted almost 60 years !!!!! and it is still only half empty. I have noticed however over the past month or so that the paint was settling out very quickly during use and becoming harder and harder to stir back to life. I regret to say I think this old faithful has now finally reached the end of its life.


I have sourced a new pot of Humbrol silver paint and have retired this old pot. However, being a bit sentimental , I cannot quite bring myself to part with that old pot of paint, at least not yet. I have put it into the back of the cupboard for the time being. I think it remarkable that a pot of paint could last quite so long, it has given very good service for so many years.


4 comments:

  1. Wow! That paint has moved house with you and everything!! Impressive!! X x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is extraordinary how this tin of paint has lasted over five houses and was in fact first used almost 20 years before you were born !!!!!!! That is a VERY long time !!!!!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed silver turned up on your spare 1960s Airfix figures that you passed n to me or their base markings quite a lot - same tin of paint? Not surprised you can't part with it.
    https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2019/08/02/a-1960s-airfix-owl-pellet/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark..
    Yes that is the same paint for sure. I have never used any other silver. However watch this space. By means of some alchemy I think I have resurrected this tin of paint !!! Regards.

    ReplyDelete