Thursday 10 June 2021

BOOK REVIEW. A HISTORY OF THE ROMAN WORLD FROM 753 TO 146 BC.


This book has probably influenced me more than any other book I have ever read. It was originally published in 1935 and my copy is a second edition from 1951.  It has been in my possession for over 50 years and was found by me in my school library in about 1968 or early 1969. Prior to my "borrowing" the book it had been loaned out only once in 1960. I am bound to admit the book left school with me in early 1970.

As the title suggests the book covers the period from the founding of Rome until the destruction of Carthage, the high point of the Republic. Many may not realise that the vast bulk of the final Roman Empire was actually conquered under the Republic, in fact the only major territorial acquisition during the Empire era was Britain.

I have not read this book for the best part of 20 years so it came as a bit of a revelation that the story of Rome's early years, it's endless wars, political activities and even the way the book is written made me appreciate that my own Imagi-Nations stories owe a great deal to this history of Republican Rome.  Clearly I have absorbed  more than I realised. The similarities really are quite remarkable.

I do recall that when I first "discovered" the potential use of woodscrews as soldiers, my first thought was to re-create the army of Republican Rome. Indeed some of my very first vehicle constructions were two wheeled carts such as used by the Roman soldiers. I recall that the problem of how to attach a single horse to such a vehicle made me move towards four wheeled vehicles and from there ultimately to an army of the 19th century instead. The two wheeled carts subsequently became the basis of the many two wheeled trailers now in service with my armies.

This book and I are great friends, it shaped my thinking on many issues and has influenced me in respect of my wargaming activities for most of my adult life.


4 comments:

  1. That’s very interesting. And I had no idea you had stolen a book from school!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such is the fate of a (text) book that gets borrowed but once. No doubt it was years before a stocktake revealed a gap in the library's inventory.

    I recognised the author at once, another of his titles being the text used in a half-year course of Roman History (Classics faculty) at Victoria University in Wellington. This was a more detailed history:
    H.H. Scullard (1976, 1959)'From the Gracchi to Nero: A History of Rome from 133BC to AD68' (4thEd),
    Methuen, London.
    If you're reasonably comfortable with the more pedestrian writing styles of 'yesteryear', I also recommend Tacitus (in translation, of course; I have no Latin). I'm inclined to 'bar' Suetonius as little more than a gossip-monger who ought to be taken strictly 'cum grano salo'.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Daughter. I prefer to think I have been borrowing this book on a long term basis. XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ion. This book was hardly likely to secure much interest in a technical school with a strong practical bias such as mine. I feel I liberated the book for a more appreciative audience. !!!! I take your claim to have no Latin "cum grano salo" !!!!! Yes there are seven books in the Methuen's history of Rome series although only this one by Scullard. I very much like his style of writing, it seems to feel very comfortable to me. The title you mentioned sounds interesting, I will see if I can get a copy. Thanks for the input. Regards Tony

    ReplyDelete