Tuesday 9 March 2021

UPDATE.

Time, like my soldiers, marches on and Spring is on the horizon. Some work has been done in the garden but I have managed to negotiate that full scale work activities will commence from Easter. In the meantime some modelling continues. The 5th upgrade has been completed and another 288 soldiers have joined the ranks. The 6th batch is well advanced and even the 7th batch has been started. ( There are 46 upgrade batches to complete. ) The 35 GS wagons are almost finished, only the wheels now need painting.

Like most if not all my readers I regularly visit other peoples blogs. Obviously some are more interesting than others but I do leave comments on posts that particularly interest me. I have recently however again come up against a sort of "snobbish" attitude to my screw soldiers. It seems that because I do not paint miniature figures or fight normal wargames my hobby is less worthy in some way. This is also noticeable in that although I get quite a number of visitors from all over the world to this blog I still have very few followers. I am fine with this actually as I do not flatter myself in thinking that screw soldiers are everyone's cup of tea. In fact I am now quite sure I am the only person in the world who uses screws as soldiers so clearly I will never have that much of a following.

That said I have tried to widen the appeal of the blog by including my take on Imagi-Nations and reviewing the many books I read each month and I believe these topics are of interest to some. I am now beginning to wonder if there is anything else I could do to widen the audience of the blog or should I just be satisfied with things as they are, it is after all The Woodscrew Miniature Army blog. Any thoughts would be very welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tony -
    My own view on your armies is that what you have created is as imaginative and creative as any other armies I have seen over the years. Everybody has their own 'take' on the worlds they create, and the narratives they tell. I do feel that what is wanting, perhaps, is more pictorial stuff, especially of your world, the wars, and battles. I appreciate that's not really where you want to go, but I do feel that, with such large armies, the potential for picturing huge battles is being neglected.

    The biggest battle I ever stage was an American Civil War affair that involved something like 1200 or so figures. But if you want to see what someone does with absolute HUGE amounts of kit, take a look at 'Peter Shulman's War' (http://peterswar.blogspot.com/). I gather there's a facebook page, and all.
    Cheers,
    Ion A. Dowman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ion. Once again some very wise comments. I have looked at Peters War and it is incredible. Thank you for sharing that with me. His productivity is amazing. I have always thought I was productive but he puts me in the shade. I like your idea of more "battle" photos. However each of my 12 infantry brigades for example is around 4,000 strong and would occupy a huge amount of space which I just do not have. As you know I did a set of battle photo shoots a while ago using one or two battalions but I will see if I figure out how to do something bigger which maybe ties up with some element of my Imagi-Nations stories. Thanks for your input, you have given me something very useful to consider.
    Regards Tony

    ReplyDelete