Thursday 31 December 2020

BOOK REVIEW : GERMAN MILITARY SYMBOLS.


 In anticipation of Christmas I recently ordered a number of books from Naval Military Press.  I have purchased from these people before and selected almost a dozen books from the latest list. Mostly these are very well priced, the average being only £3. Most of the books  were handed out to family to wrap for me as Christmas presents but I managed to get two of the books immediately, this is the first.

The book is a reprint of a US Army manual of German military symbols as used in World War Two. The contents are basically tactical markings as used on maps, vehicles and hardware. Of particular interest to me were the vehicle markings. I recall many years ago searching for information on German tactical signs but finding very little. The best source back in the 70's was transfers made by Almarks, long since gone way although I still have a number of sets of their transfers unused.

As you might expect, the German system of markings was very logical. Starting from basic symbols for artillery for example, other marks are added to represent the various different types like flak, anti tank etc. There is little narrative beyond a basic introduction but the lists of signs are very interesting.

Overall an excellent reference book for German tactical signs.

2 comments:

  1. A very useful book, not only for modellers, but also for drawing up battle maps. I quite like the NATO symbols myself, the German look more ... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had this book many years ago when I was making Airfix kits. Yes very useful in drafting battle maps. I believe there are enthusiasts out there who fight map based games without the use of figures, I can well understand the appeal of such activities. I am not familiar with NATO signs. I will have to do some research.

    ReplyDelete