Wednesday 9 December 2020

BOOK REVIEW: BRITISH ARTILLERY 1914-19


 Another book from my library. This is a good basic reference book which covers the British Army's guns during the First World War. 

The one thing that strikes me is the number of each gun actually manufactured. Every student of the war  is familiar with the concept of massed batteries, usually  with guns axle to axle firing endless bombardments. However the number of guns built is much lower than I expected. For example only 10,400 of the standard 18 lb were ever made. In comparison, the German 88mm flak, which I reviewed recently, had over 20,000 examples made, and that was by no means a standard field gun which were presumably made in even greater numbers. 

Overall an excellent text book, my only criticism being the very limited references to the limbers and ammunition wagons that accompanied every gun.

2 comments:

  1. I've just acquired one of those 18pr guns (Army Men scale). I've long wanted a battery of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand that, I have seen a couple up close in museums and given they are a hundred years old they are very impressive pieces of engineering.

    ReplyDelete