Tuesday 18 August 2020

BATTLE PHOTO SHOOT; QUARTERMASTER BATTALION.

Although it takes a lot of time to set up these photo shoots I do find them very interesting. It is fun for me to see units set up for combat rather than just laid out on shelves. I decided to try a non combat unit next hence the Quartermaster battalion. I hope readers will like this set of photos as much as I do, its probably my favorite so far.  My name is Tony and I am a logistics geek !!!!!!!!

The unit photographed is the 43rd Quartermaster battalion.  My armies have 18 of these battalions.

The first photo shows the battalion parked up ready to resume the advance into enemy territory.
On the left is the HQ company with battalion supply wagons and equipment. The parallel long lines on the centre left are the two Transport companies. Next on the centre right is the Veterinary/Farrier company and on the far right is the Workshop company.



Below is the HQ element showing the tandem office wagons and signals trailer with the command group and flags.



Here are the supply elements of the HQ company with medical, water and field kitchen trailers.




The two transport companies with a total of 32 vehicles are shown below. These units are tasked with bring supplies from railhead to the "refilling point".




This is the Veterinary/Farrier company.



A close up of one of the forge wagons used by the Farriers.



Here is the remount section. Note the tactical markings on the Veterinary wagon, a bronze cross on a white square.



This picture shows the workshop company with its house bodied workshop wagons and supply trailers which is tasked with field repairs and maintenance of all vehicles and weapons.



Another view of the battalion from the rear.



Lastly a side view of the battalion.


I hope these pictures do full justice to the battalion. The base board was only just big enough to squeeze it all on but I think the setting was good. My armies have 18 QM battalions. Each one has 63 vehicles and trailers and 233 soldiers giving a total of 1134 vehicles and trailers and 4194 soldiers which I hope gives a feel for the sheer size of my armies.



4 comments:

  1. I still can't get over the wargames campaign (or wargames war) potential of these armies. Of course, to go down that track, you'd need an OPFOR... That can double (or more) the size of your project). At any rate, I like you photo shoots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like my armies. Not sure I know what an OPFOR is ????? I am sure there is an opportunity to use my armies for wargaming. That was the original idea back in 1969 in Miniature Warfare magazine. I just wish I had more exposure to bring these ideas to a bigger audience. Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to see them laid out from a bird's eye or balloonist point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark. Yes they do look good even to me. I am used to seeing them just on a shelf in a sort of parade posture so seeing them "in action" is good. I have recently completed a new photo shoot showing two battalions on a 2 by 4 board. I will publish that as soon as I get a chance. Regards.

    ReplyDelete