Monday 10 August 2020

BATTLE PHOTO SHOOT : INFANTRY

At last I have found the time to create this battle photo shoot of an Infantry battalion. This is the 49th Infantry battalion. I have 72 such battalions in my armies. Once again I apologise for the background. The simple fact is that I have been unable to source a suitable back scene hence the use of a 2 by 2 foot board on the table saw in my workshop.

This first shot shows the whole battalion. The six infantry companies can be clearly seen with the heavy weapons company drawn up in the centre foreground ready to commence a high angle bombardment of the enemy positions prior to the infantry assault. At the rear can be seen the battalion wagon lines.



This picture shows one of the infantry companies drawn up in platoon lines with platoon officers and NCO's in front and the company command group leading.




Another shot of the company. Apart from the Captain commanding the company and the Company Sergeant Major each command group has an attached Medic and Signaler. These soldiers are provided by the relevant HQ company platoons prior to combat commencing.




The picture below shows the two heavy machine guns and caissons of the Heavy Weapons company. Also visible behind is the battalion command group.




Shown here are the wagon lines of the Heavy Weapons company with limbers and ammunition wagon.




 Another shot of the battalion command group with the signals trailer and signals platoon behind receiving orders for the battalions deployment.





This photo shows the battalion medical aid post with trailer and medical team.




Part of the battalions wagon lines showing the water trailer and field kitchen ready to serve the troops before operations commence.




Another view of the whole battalion from the rear.




And a final shot of the battalion from the flank showing the full extent of the wagon lines.





 I hope these photos are of interest and give a good idea of the size of my armies. All together I have 214 battalions of various types and if each can occupy 4 square feet in combat formation it is easy to calculate the space that would be needed to display the whole army. I will create more battle photo shoots of other battalion types over time, maybe a non combat unit next time.





2 comments:

  1. All this looks really good. I can't help thinking, though, that the whole gig looks eminently war game-able, either as a tactical game or something at operational level. Here's an action from nearly 3 years ago involving 1:76 scale figures and vehicles, involving 4 Russian armies (2 whole and 2 part) against a Romanian Army supported by a German Panzer Corps.
    http://archdukepiccolo.blogspot.com/2017/12/operation-uranus-assault-against-third.html
    The board is just 4ft x 4ft 4in.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ion. I have read your post as suggested. Very interesting. I fully agree that my armies could well be used for a mass war game. I had always thought they would only suit a small unit action but using single vehicles etc to represent full units would indeed work. The photos on your blog are very impressive. I have always liked the mass effect hence the size of my armies. I have always thought my woodscrew army could /should be used for war gaming. After all that was the original idea in 1969. The question is how to promulgate the concept. My blog was launched to get the idea out there but so far my readership is still very small. Any suggestions ???? Regards Tony

    ReplyDelete