Friday 3 July 2020

BOOK REVIEW. UP AMONG THE PANDIES.




This is the last of the books I bought from Naval Military Press. For those who wonder what Pandies are I will explain. That is the generic name for Sepoy mutineers during the Indian Mutiny of 1857-58. One of the first mutineers was named Pandy hence the nickname.

This book is a reprint of a volume written in 1859 by a Lieutenant who sailed to India with the relief forces after the outbreak of the Mutiny. Given the sailing time in those days he arrived towards the end of the uprising and only took part in one battle.

The book is very typical of the era in that the author spends about 80% of the content describing scenery, sunsets and places in lengthy, flowery prose. I think many of this time period liked to demonstrate their level of education and sophistication in this way. I am afraid I find reading five pages about palanquins for example,  dull and pointless and something to be endured in order to read the real substance of the book.

As mentioned, the author only took part in one battle but he gives excellent descriptions of the action as he saw it. The only other really interesting elements to me in the book are the passages about his travel out to India and camp life in general. 

Although only 20% of the book is worthwhile reading to me,  I have to admit that if you want highly detailed descriptions of life in India at this time, and you can cope with the use of ten words where only one would suffice, this is an excellent book.

No comments:

Post a Comment