Wednesday 22 July 2020

BATTLE PHOTO SHOOT. BRANDY STATION WAGON TRAIN.


     


After taxing my digital skills to their utmost I at last have been able upload this photo onto my blog, it has been very hard work !!!!!

The photo is the one I saw on the TV series The Civil War and which Ion of Archduke Piccolo blog identified for me. It was taken in 1863 at Brandy Station and show a Union wagon train which has just arrived and has been corralled to facilitate protection from Confederate cavalry attack.

I find this photo absolutely amazing in respect of the sheer numbers of wagons involved bearing in mind that this is just a single train from dozens if not hundreds in service on both sides. I think it demonstrates clearly the ability of the humble wagon to deliver the logistical needs of huge armies.
By my best count there at least 300 wagons in the shot, each containing at least 2 tons of cargo, an astounding amount by any standards. That said, that on the retreat from Gettysburg, the Confederate wagon trains alone totaled around 4000 wagons and occupied over 30 miles of road. Also remember that all those wagons were more or less hand made. Although some parts like wheels were mass produced,  the bulk of the construction was still carried out by individual craftsmen, the production line did not come into use for wagons until the 1870s.

I know I am a logistics geek but I dare you not to be impressed by this photograph too.












No comments:

Post a Comment