Friday 11 January 2019

The Remuda

Remuda is a Spanish word meaning a horse herd suitable for remounts. In the context of my armies I have a Remuda in each Quartermaster battalion to provide spare horses for the other battalions served by that Quartermaster battalion. The Remuda is part of the Veterinary company establishment.


The photo above shows a Remuda assembled and primed ready for final painting. Construction is based on 10 horses with a bar passing through each row of five horses and glued into a square section beam with a twisted cable and "towing" eye to enable attachment to a Veterinary company wagon. The construction is similar to that used for Cavalry horses.
I admit the arrangement may appear odd but it is the best way I have found, so far, to represent the availability of a herd of remounts which I consider essential to the overall importance I attach to the army having a full logistical capability.


This photo shows the six Remudas I recently made to equip the six Quartermaster battalions in the army I am currently constructing. The horses are of course my standard horse brown colour with the "frame" black. I did originally try olive drab, my usual vehicle/equipment colour, but it just did not look quite right. Which ever colour is used the painting of the "frame" is slow and complex as even the small bits between horses are painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment