Wednesday 29 June 2022

CONSTRUCTION OF LIMBERS.

HOW I MAKE AND PAINT LIMBERS.


Limbers are used extensively in my armies not only for artillery and heavy weapons but also in Cavalry and Horse Artillery regiments to tow supply, ammunition and utility trailers. The premise is that such regiments require full off road capability and that can only be provided by limbered transport.

Construction of limbers starts with a balsa block 15mm wide and 10mm deep cut from standard trailer stock of 5mm thick planking. To this is added a cut down toothpick shaft. The standard toothpick as used straight from the box for wagons is about 55mm long. To fit the smaller limber I cut them down to 40mm. This can be seen in the photo below.


The next shot shows a batch of 32 limbers with shafts attached. The next step is the usual one of applying sealer to the end grain which is sanded smooth when dry.



Next task is to add wheels, towing hook and the horse mounting block on the shaft, all as seen below and very similar to the work required to build GS wagons. Construction is now complete so the wheels and towing hooks can be primed ready for painting.


As is my usual practice I also cut out the horses required for a batch of vehicles and paint them up at the same time. The photo below shows the horses partially primed  in the normal  head up or head down situation.



As above but now painted my standard horse brown  ( Humbrol Burnt Leather ). The colour of horses is a constant issue with my wife who is most upset that I do not have a variety of horse colours to reflect reality.  She particularly wants me to have dapple gray horses.  I tell her the official Army view is that horses only come in one standard issue colour and that is brown !!!!!!!!!!



The limbers are now painted olive drab, my standard vehicle and equipment colour.


The next step is to glue the horses to the mounting block. It is vital to glue the painted side as the paint provides a key for the glue. It also makes it much easier to complete the painting of the horses.


This next picture shows the horses after all painting has been completed.


The final steps are to add the twisted wire harness and paint the limber wheels black as shown below.


Basically, other than the initial cutting of the balsa block body, the rest of the construction process is the same as described in the post on building GS wagons.  These principles also apply to all other vehicles and trailers used in my armies.


4 comments:

  1. I do agree that the horses would look pretty with different colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that was me, your eldest daughter, not anonymous!

      Delete
    2. Hi Laura..... There have been a number of reports in BlogLand that comments often get attributed to Anonymous for no good reason, it's not just you. That said I don't want my armies to look "pretty", they need to look warlike !!!!! That's also quite apart from the huge amount of time it would take to do different colours. However thank you for reading my stuff and commenting, your views are always of interest to me. Love Dad

      Delete
  2. Yes ok, looking warlike is quite important I suppose!!!!!

    ReplyDelete