Tuesday 14 December 2021

CONSTRUCTION OF HORSES.

The original Miniature Warfare magazine article on which my armies are based included flat horses made of card. I have used that principle for my horses but use 30 thou plastic card instead as it is considerably more durable. The idea of flat horses however in my view is perfectly acceptable. They are after all only a representation of horses in the same way that screws represent soldiers. 

As to the construction of the horses, I cut the plastic card with a modelling knife into strips using my "master" horse as a guide, then measure the length of each horse at 20mm, then cut the resultant rectangles with scissors. I then cut the horse shape freehand again with scissors. After the thousands I have made I know exactly where to cut which is around one third in and one third down give or take a bit  !!!!!!!!


The photo above shows the strip with a rectangle below and the final horse shape at the bottom. I usually cut up a whole sheet of plastic card at one time so as to have a number of horses in stock. It can be tedious to make horses for each batch of vehicles so I find it best  to have a stockpile. I will detail the painting methods I use for horses later under the  Painting Techniques heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment