Thursday 30 August 2018

On my last blog I showed the batch of 60 artillery caissons then under construction. These are now completed and the metal parts have been primed ready for painting olive drab, my standard vehicle/equipment colour.


I  thought the reader may be interested in the details of construction, which are virtually the same for all trailer type vehicles. The basic starting point is the standard 15mm square balsa block some 5mm thick. To this is added a trail, the making of which is described elsewhere. The wheels are added before we come to the  come to the unique features of caissons.




As can be seen, the defining element of a caisson is the spare wheel fixed above the pole.












       Also noteworthy is the towing hook for the gun.





This is the underneath view. The towing hook is formed from a Bambi staple. (readily available in boxes of 1500 on the interweb.) This view shows the shortened pin part of the drawing pin wheels. These are covered in glue after fitting to ensure they stay put. I have found it unreliable to expect the glue on the pin face to be sufficient to hold it in place.There is also a blob of glue on the staple hook. For some reason I have never painted the underneath of vehicles. Looking at this shot now makes me wonder why not. I think I will put that idea on my "to be considered" list.





No comments:

Post a Comment