Tuesday 25 April 2023

UPDATE.

 Following my cataract surgery I am long last free of the restrictions on heavy work and lifting. This means I have just been able to cut the grass for the first time this year and  I plan to do some serious tidying up later. The down side is that I am now eligible to do housework too which is due on Thursday my wife tells me !!!!  In addition I have also been able to have an eye test and new glasses are on order. I hope within the next 7 to 10 days to receive these and finally drive my car again after just over 9 weeks of being a passenger only.... I cant wait !!!!!!!

Despite not being able to see well etc we seem to have been out and about frequently this past few weeks. I think my wife has felt sorry for me not being able to drive so has taken me out perhaps more than usual,  we certainly seem to have eaten lunch out a lot recently. Nevertheless I have managed to get some modelling time and have made good progress on the batch of 30 GS wagons as seen below.


Construction is complete and the wheels have been primed, next step is to paint the bodies  olive drab. The horses for these wagons are also made and have received the initial primer and top coat ready for gluing onto the wagons once they are painted. The rest of each horse will be painted once glued on the wagons.


I have also made progress on the infantry battalion. All the painting is complete and all that's left to do is two coats of varnish.


This shelf shows the infantry privates of the battalion some 216 strong.


The photo above shows 18 infantry lieutenants and the medical, heavy weapons and QM privates.


The final photo shows all the officers and NCO's of the battalion with the staff and signals privates.

Now off to the garden.......



4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised, Tony, that you didn't arrange the 216 private soldiers into 12 ranks of 9 files (18 single files).This could be achieved by removing the right hand file as you see it and completing those last two 8-man ranks. Much... neater.

    The whole outfit 1-to-1 makes quite an array - over 400 figures all up. This kind of project tells us something about just what our 'representative' units and formations really mean - and what we are overlooking, ignoring and/or setting aside. A reality check.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ion... Yes of course you are right, such an arrangement would look much neater. However with the space I have available on my workbench and the need to pick up each figure repeatedly as I paint, I need to move them to the other side of the shelf after each coat of paint. That's also the reason I use three boards, to give space to move them as I paint rather than putting the figure back in the same place. Hence the need to keep them squashed up on one end of the board. Its a practical thing rather than how good they look I'm afraid. Yes the sheer number is impressive I think. At 407 figures that's about the size of a modern infantry battalion one for one. I have always been impressed with sheer numbers which is one of the major reasons for using screws, easy to paint and cheap, although if I was starting now I might be tempted to use 6mm MDF figures which are really good from what I have seen......Regards.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you nearly fully back into the swing of things Tony:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve....Yes It is good to be back painting and building vehicles....now to find the time to keep going...Regards.

      Delete