Friday 12 November 2021

UPDATE.

 With the advent of winter fast approaching I am getting a bit more time for modelling. In that respect I have now completed 43 upgrades out of the total of 49. The strength of the armies has now reached 59,040 with a target of 60,278.

Within the upgrades there has been only one that required more vehicles and equipment. This was the addition of an extra company to the three Heavy Weapons battalions. Each new company required two limbers, caissons and heavy machine guns and an ammunition wagon. These vehicles have been constructed as seen below. In addition, while issuing mounted corporals to the Field Police battalions a week or so ago, I found that one battalion was short of a GS wagon. I have no idea how that happened but a new wagon was constructed at the same time and can be seen on the top right of the photo.

It has occured to me that some of my readers may never have seen all my very old posts. As some of these, in my humble opinion, are interesting, it occurred to me to update and re-publish some of those posts. The first one was on Artillery Observation Wagons which I posted a few days ago. Over the coming weeks and months I will also be re-publishing and updating those posts relating to the organisational structure of my armies. Many changes have taken place since the original posts were drafted so I get to kill two birds with one stone.

Finally I feel I must share an interesting experience. Apart from starting this blog to share my armies with others, I have long wondered about exhibiting my soldiers at a wargame show. I sought advice on this idea and it was suggested to me that instead I should offer an article to one of the mainstream wargame magazines. Thinking this a good idea I sent a draft, with photos, to Miniature Wargames magazine.

The response included the words " pretty bonkers".  So maybe not such a good idea after all then !!!!   

I think  I will just stick to the blog from now on !!!!


4 comments:

  1. Those wagons, caissons etc are great Tony. I think your armies are brilliant, so ignore what the magazines say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, Tony, that you might have run into someone with a conservative and rigid mind set. Didn't you mention in one of your early postings that this whole project of yours was inspired by a magazine article from about 50 years back?

    One has to ask oneself what inspired the war game projects of any of us. I didn't know war gaming was a 'thing' until I was in my twenties. But as a kid I used to make war with soldiers represented by bits of straw (outside), simple hand drawn paper cutouts (with arms bent around to give a 3D look, these were 'ancients'), or the bricks of a building set. Much later I read about somebody's armies of rivets - obviously 20th century type armies with the rivets as soldiers' helmets.

    I reckon it could have made a fine magazine article. The magazine's loss...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve... Many thanks for the kind words. I have had such reactions in the past so no real surprise. It certainly does not put me off and I am very happy that you like what I am doing. Thanks. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ion.. Yes this all started with a magazine article in 1969. I also first played "war" using my Lego bricks as soldiers. !!!! and I first heard about "wargaming" from that same magazine in 1969. There are many sides to our hobby and all are valid. I don't mind the rejection, I more or less expected it in truth, not everyone is as open minded as you and the others that follow my blog so yes, their loss...... That said I am very grateful for your support. Thanks. Regards.

    ReplyDelete