Friday 3 September 2021

UPDATE.

 Something of a continuing surprise to me is that my updates seem to attract more "views" than many of my other posts.  I also notice in reading other peoples blogs that non-modelling/wargaming posts also seem to attract more comments than I might have expected. I admit I too often find these non- modelling/wargaming posts more interesting as they bring the writers to life somehow. I guess we all like to read a bit about other peoples normal day to day lives.

With that in mind I thought I would comment on my rather frequent book reviews. I have always been an avid reader. I inherited my love of books from my mother and grandmother who were also keen readers. I am pleased to say that my two daughters also have that gene and read a lot. Indeed my youngest daughter, during her school days, often had three books on the go at any one time. One downstairs, one in her jacket pocket for daytime use and another on the bedside cabinet.

All of the books I review have been read by me within the previous week or ten days. I "consume" at least one book per week and often two. I estimate I buy at least 25 to 30 books each year. I almost always get Amazon vouchers for books at birthday, Christmas and even Fathers day. My library is close to 800 strong now. I very rarely part with a book once bought and tend to re-read each book every few years.  I have several very old first editions including my oldest book dated 1855.

My range of interests is somewhat limited as you might expect given my lifelong interest in military history. However the major topics represented in my library include; big game hunting and wildlife in general, Victorian engineering and building, history of the US, history of India,  history of Rome and of course military matters such as, the Napoleonic wars, US Civil War, Indian Mutiny and all other wars in the 19th century, First and Second World Wars and Vietnam.  One of my favorite topics is logistics especially during the pre-mechanised era. I have a lot of books on horse drawn logistics and always get very excited when something new comes along. 

I also have quite a few woodworking books as that has been my other hobby since the age of about 12.      I have made much of the furniture in the house as well as all the bookcases and modelling units. Other members of the family also have examples of my efforts.

Sources for books include  Helion and Naval and Military both of which offer many interesting titles. I also check out second hand bookshops on our travels although I often find they can be very overpriced. I admit on several occasions I have got my wife to photograph a book of interest which I have subsequently bought from Amazon a lot cheaper. I find antique shops and centres can have interesting books available and strangely at good prices. I guess they are seen as "extras" to the main items for sale. National Trust secondhand bookshops are another useful source. I have also found The Works stock good books at very reasonable prices although it can be hit and miss as to what is available at any one time. I regularly trawl Amazon especially for new re-published "facsimile" copies of old books. Finally of course book fairs can be good sources especially the local village versions if one can be found.

Space for books is an endless issue. My wife has a considerable number of cookery books which she constantly adds too so we are always short of shelf space. Even with the new free standing double sided bookcase I recently built there are still piles of books scattered around. Another bookcase somewhere will be needed in the near future for sure.

I hope this has been of interest to readers. If anyone has any good ideas for creating extra shelf space for books please let me know.


4 comments:

  1. I would like to know as well... My wife has a policy of 'one in, one out': If she buys a book, she will get rid of one she already has. I have to admit there are quite a few books I should ditch as well. Karen also tends to use e-books a lot, something I am very reluctant to do as I find on-line reading uncomfortable after a while. I much prefer 'hard copy'.

    Although I have a casual interest in a lot of things, my main interests lie in stories - history for the most part, but also folk tale, legend and mythology. It is my belief there is more truth, and even fact, in all three than is generally supposed. Not that I'm am in any way religious you understand.

    So my war games and my chess games (I play exclusively on-line, not have been a club member for 35 years, nor faced an opponent over the board for over 20) are story-telling forms. Even chess, an obsession 50 years back, has since become a casual interest. On Gameknot I have played fewer than 700 games in 17 years; A school buddy who began in the same year has played more than 10 times as many games, and chess isn't HIS main interest either!

    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ion...I too am not keen on e-books. I really like the "feel" of a real book. Interestingly my wife also moves on some books after a while, not something I have ever been capable of, I buy for life !!! I do have some fiction books, not many but they include all the Sharpe's volumes, The Hunger Games trilogy and several Tom Clancy novels and some Ryder Haggard books. I agree with you about mythology, I am sure there is more than a grain of truth in most myths.
    700 chess games in 17 years sounds like a lot to me, 7,000 is extraordinary. I like stories too which is why I am very fond of military biographies, the story of a life is often quite fascinating and regularly makes me realise how "ordinary" my life has been in many ways. I think that is why I enjoy writing my Imagi-Nations stuff, I like to tell stories too.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to keep more of my books, but simply don't have the space anymore. Also physical books are a must for me, as i not only love holding them but enjoy being able to pick a title off the shelf, open it up and start reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve... Yes there is something special about a "real" book. A perfect example of why more technology is not always a step forward. Book storage appears to be an insoluble problem for us all. Regards.

    ReplyDelete