Friday 29 May 2020

BATTLE PHOTO SHOOT. FIELD ARTILLERY.


It occurs to me that my posts have become a bit predictable so I thought readers may be interested in something different . Perhaps seeing my soldiers in a battle setting could bring them more to life.

Therefore I set up a field artillery battalion on a board in combat formation. Please bear in mind this is a first attempt and it may not be the background of choice. The photos were taken in my workshop on top of my table saw, the only space I could find big enough without crawling on the floor, the base board being just over two feet square. Please therefore excuse the background. If this type of photo shoot is of interest, I will do more of other battalion types and certainly try to improve the background.

The battalion in question is the 37th Field Artillery battalion, one of 36 such battalions in my armies.




In this first shot the battalion's two 4 gun batteries can be seen with guns and caissons facing the camera. Immediately behind are the battery wagon lines with limbers and ammunition wagons. In the rear are the battalion wagon lines.



A close up of two guns showing the gun crews with section commanders and the battery commander,  battery sergeant major, signalers and a medic immediately behind.



Again the battery command group with limbers, ammunition wagons and crews awaiting orders.




On the left of the battalion wagon lines stand the field kitchen and water trailer ready to provide sustenance to the troops.




In the centre of the battalion wagon lines stand the battalion aid post with the surgeon and medics and the signals trailer with signalers and the fire control team receiving target information. Also seen here are the battalion flags and the battalion commander and adjutant a little to the front.




Finally another shot of the whole battalion from the right flank. Note the remaining battalion wagons in the bottom right of the photo. If there is a next time I will also endeavor to eliminate the shadows !!!!!! Please let me know if this shoot is interesting and worthy of repetition with other units.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent way of showing the logistics set up required for one gun to go boom!

    ReplyDelete