Thursday 16 January 2020

BOOK REVIEW : SHIRE BOOKS.


For those not aware of these books I strongly recommend looking them up on line. They publish a vast selection of small books, average price £5, on a bewildering range of topics. I have over 80 Shire books now and tend to review the catalogue each year and arrange to have myself bought a few as birthday or Christmas presents. The three books below were presents for my recent birthday and give a fair idea of the wide range of topics covered in the 1500 or more titles available.


THE ROOTES GROUP


I asked for this book as the main London factory for Rootes was literally just up the road from where I lived as a child. I clearly recall the lines of new cars as I walked to school. It is also an interesting record of the rise and fall of a major company that made a significant contribution to Britain's industrial output during the Second World War.



VICTORIAN HOUSEBUILDING



This book reflects my interest in all things Victorian and especially their engineering. My first house was a 1910 terrace and this book provides a good insight into what is still the greatest period of house building ever in the UK with very interesting information on the way things were done and the working lives of the builders themselves.



SIR CHRISTOPHER WREN



Once again this choice shows my interest in engineering. It never ceases to amaze me that our ancestors were able to construct huge, complex and sophisticated buildings such as St Paul's cathedral back in the 1600's without any of the technological means we have today. Indeed, Wren started as an astronomer and became an architect almost by accident, and all at a time when there was no recognised profession of architect and no formal relevant training. On a personal note, my school was named Christopher Wren and used the image of St Paul's as the badge. The school, now long gone, was in West London and had a strong technical bias with training in bricklaying, plastering, plumbing and electrical engineering as well as the usual, in those days, woodworking, metalworking and technical drawing. Additionally, I have actually been in the roof space of St Paul's during a tour a few years ago. It is remarkable to be able to see how the thing is actually put together under the surface. If you get the opportunity ever, I strongly recommend taking that tour, as long as you can cope with heights of course.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful Shire books - I recently picked up a lovely Shires book about The Scouts for my Tabletop Wide Games project. Shires even published a few early Wargames titles, reprinted by John Curry http://wargaming.co/recreation/details/ewvol5.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have a wonderful range of subjects and many have a military theme including classics like British Army Horse Drawn wagons and Military Barracks to name a couple.

      Delete