Sunday 13 February 2022

MODELLING PAINT.

PAINT.

I have always used Humbrol enamel modelling paints. I admit they are not quite as good as years ago but still I find them best for me. During the over fifteen years from the mid 80's to early 00's when my army resided in the loft, all my paints were also packed away. When recovered and set up in my , then new, modelling unit, I found that of 19 tins of paint only one had dried up. The others were perfectly usable.  Strangely however all the hairs on every single paint brush had fallen out leaving me with a pile of sticks and a birds nest of hairs !!!

 Today my main complaint is that some of the colours display odd characteristics. For example the gloss red number 19, tends to change into a jelly like consistency long before even half used. I have not found any way to stop this process despite remixing with both thinners and even acetone. I complained once to Humbrol who responded that the barcode on the tin could not be identified !!!!  Others like the matt black number 33, when newly opened,  tend to dry to a glossy finish.  I think it is the thinners they use. Despite trying endless mixing the only cure I have found is to leave new tins open, without mixing, for several hours to allow this agent to evaporate. That does tend to solve the problem and also makes the paint a little thicker and thus give better coverage too.

When painting screws I do not use any primer. I have found that the normal base colour together with the top satin varnish coat, number 135,  is fully serviceable. Indeed although virtually all screws have at least a slight rust covering to start with, that seems to aid paint coverage. To date I have never found any rust on my painted soldiers. I do use primer, number 01, on wheels (drawing pins) flags ( paper and pins) any exposed glue and all plastic components on vehicles and equipments. The top coat then covers so much better.

The only mixing I do is for the base colour of my soldiers (screws). The original colour used was HU17 in the Authentic colour range. Since that range has become unavailable the online colour comparison charts indicate 116 is the current equivalent. However I find it to be rather lighter so I add about 20% matt black to each new tin to get the shade I need. I usually make up two or three tins at a time as it is a messy job !!!


4 comments:

  1. I have had the same problem with old gloss enamels - particularly the original Airfix ones - I assume it must be something to do with the paint breaking down with time
    Can't say that I have known Matt enamels to dry glossy, though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian....If the paint had been old I would be less concerned. However the last time this happened was only last week with a tin bought around last October. Other glosses do not break down so why red ?? I find matt black number 33, is always glossy when first opened unless left to allow some of the "thinning" agent to evaporate. It can only be a formulation issue. I guess each paint colour has unique ingredients that cause these different characteristics. I wish Humbrol were a bit more interested !!! Regards.

      Delete
    2. My only gloss enamels are at least 20 years old, so I can't comment on the recent ones!
      Even my matt black is probably three years old by not, if not more, so maybe there is a problem with the modern formulation?
      If you have a Hobbycraft near you, they may sell Revell enamels that you could try as an alternative?

      Delete
    3. Hi Ian....Yes we have a Hobbycraft but my "local" model shop in Wolverhampton sells Revell too. I may well try a couple out next time I visit. It is amazing how long the "old" paints last, 20 years is impressive. !!!! Regards Tony

      Delete