Saturday 4 August 2018

I mentioned last time that I was constructing a batch of what I call utility trailers. That includes field kitchens, medical trailers, signals trailers and water tank trailers. The batch I have just completed building are the balance of trailers I need to fully equip the army I am now creating. Every battalion has a field kitchen and water tanker. Signals trailers are supplied to all combat units. Non combat units like quartermaster, command and medical battalions are supplied with larger four wheeled signals vehicles. Medical trailers equip all battalions except medical.


These vehicles are based on my standard trailer with the addition of a unique feature. This is a chimney made of a veneer pin for field kitchens, painted red cross for medical and part of a paper clip as the aeriel on signals vehicles. The water tank is a piece of dowel mounted on a thin balsa base. The trails are the usual tooth picks cut down, sanded and provided with a towing eye. Wheels are mounted towards the rear of the body to ensure the trailer sits correctly. The photo shows the batch with metal parts primed. Next step will be painting the bodies olive drab.

All these trailers are historically referenced by the equipment of the German army of WW1.

I am also currently painting an army command battalion. The last photo published showed the troops with basic green uniforms completed. This photo shows all the troops with arm of service and rank markings. I will detail the rank and arm of service colour schemes in a later blog. The next steps will be two coats of varnish.


No comments:

Post a Comment